Monday, June 24, 2013

Melissa Marr

Introducing Melissa Marr:


Melissa grew up believing in faeries, ghosts, and various other creatures. After teaching college lit for a decade, she applied her fascination with folklore to writing. Wicked Lovely, the first novel, was simultaneously released in the US and UK by HarperCollins in 2007 (with translation rights also sold in twenty-seven countries). It debuted as a NY Times Bestseller. Critical responses both here and abroad have been positive. Ink Exchange, the second novel, released in late April 2008 in North America. Currently, Melissa lives in the DC area, writes full time, and still believes in faeries and ghosts.


13 Questions for YA Authors
  1. Coke, Pepsi, Coffee, or Tea?
Depends on the options & reason. When I write, I drink coffee, Mt Dew, & Tea (Assam usually). On an average day, I drink a milder black tea or orange juice with powdered caffeine. I don’t drink Coke without cherry syrup to pour into it, & I hate Pepsi.

  1. Do you prefer print books or an ereader? If ereader, what type?
Depends on where I’m reading. If I’m traveling, I use my iPad so I don’t have to pack piles of books, but at home I prefer paper. I like the feel of it, the sound of pages turning, and the smell of books (old and new ones). However, ereaders are great for instant gratification and for trips.

  1. PC or MAC?
My desk computer is a PC, and my laptop is a MacBook Air. Right now, I prefer the laptop, but over the years, I’ve happily used both. The Mac always feels less buggy, though, and I don’t worry about viruses or crashes like I have with a lot of my PCs. The PCs, though, usually have keyboards I like much better.

  1. Plotter or Pantser?
I write without outline when I am working solo, but my co-authored books start with outlines. For me, the joy of writing is in figuring it out. If I plot or outline, I then have less incentive to actually write the book. Co-authoring is different in that I alternate chapters with the co-author, so the incentive is that if I do my work, I get to read the other author’s chapter. It’s really a question of what tricks I need to use to bribe myself.

  1. What comes first- the character or the plot?
Character and plot are intermixed so much that I don’t think they CAN exist separately. Plot is the result of characters’ goals and flaws.

  1. How much world building do you do?
I have no idea how to answer this. All stories require worldbuilding, including contemporary ones, but as a primarily fantasy and folklore author, worldbuilding is essential.

  1. How do you come up with the names of your characters?

I use baby books, online baby name sites, and/or the social security index for the year of the character’s birth to narrow in on names. Then, I whittle them down. Every name is ultimately chosen due to its meaning.

  1. Do you listen to music while you write? If so, what and who?
It’s completely impossible to answer what & who! Every book—other than my co-authored books—requires a playlist. I have character playlists, series playlists, and general writing playlists that vary according to the mood I’m seeking.

  1. Where’s your favorite place to write? Do you need complete silence or can you work anywhere?
I can write most anywhere these days. I PREFER to write at home or somewhere remote and silent (I do a lot of retreats), but I also work in hotels, airports, and planes these days. With my first book, I wrote at playgrounds, swimming pools, and in the car while I was waiting on my kids to finish lessons. The one place I can’t write is in a cafĂ© or restaurant. I need to be somewhere without people pacing around and yammering. Kids’ voices don’t distract me, but crowds of adults moving around make me crazy.

10)   Who are your favorite authors?

Dead? William Faulkner, Christina Rossetti, Thomas Hardy, & Kate Chopin. Live? Neil Gaiman.

11)   Who was the biggest influence on your writing?

I’ll go with a “what” not a “who” because I don’t think one person could have that kind of impact of me. My biggest influences are folklore & travel.

12)   Why do you prefer to write for teens?

Actually, I write for all ages. I have my second adult novel (THE ARRIVALS) out in July 2013, my first kid novel (LOKI’S WOLVES) in May 2013, and my first picture book is due out in 2015. Most of my books are YA, but I don’t set out to write for an age, simply to tell a story. The story—and characters—determine which editor and publisher buys it, but the story is first.

13)   If you could go anywhere, and money was no object, where would you go?

Space. I’d like to see the planet from outside, but that’s way outside of my budget. On planet, my biggest weakness is Scotland. I’ve gone there four of the last six years, but in general, I like travel. I retreat to the desert and the beach most years, and I keep a cabin in the mountains. Some people buy stuff, and clothes, and go out a lot. I shop at thrift stores and eat at home. That way, I can allocate the bulk of the not-for-bills money on travel for the family. My daughter went to China, and my oldest son went on a Marine Science class at sea. They both go snowboarding, hiking, etc. Travel is a family addiction.

1 comment:

  1. I love Scotland. My one regret about my time in London is that I never got up into the Highlands. The farthest north I went was to Edinbragh. The next time I go I want to go to the Isle of Skye and to spend some quality time at Hadrian's wall. :)

    ReplyDelete