Monday, June 10, 2013

Leanna Renee Heiber


Introducing Leanna Renee Hieber:
Leanna Renee Hieber grew up in rural Ohio, graduated from Miami University with a BFA in Theater and a focus in the Victorian Era.  She began her theatrical career with the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company and began adapting works of 19th Century literature for the stage. Her one-act plays have been published, awarded and produced around the country. Her fiction career began with Dark Nest, which won the 2009 Prism Award for best novella.
Her debut novel, The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker, landed on Barnes & Noble's bestseller lists, was named a favourite of 2009 by 14 book blogs, won two 2010 Prism Awards (Best Fantasy, Best First Book), the 2010 Orange County Book Buyer's Best Award (Young Adult category) and is in development as a musical theatre production with Broadway talent on board. The Perilous Prophecy of Guard and Goddess, prequel in the Strangely Beautiful series, won the 2012 Prism Award (Best Fantasy). This currently out of print series will be reissued by 2014.
Her currently in print books include: Darker Still, Twisted Tragedy of Miss Natalie Stewart, A Midwinter Fantasy (an anthology).

13 Questions for YA Authors
1)      Coke, Pepsi, Coffee, or Tea?

Coffee and tea! All the time!

2)      Do you prefer print books or an ereader? If ereader, what type?

Print books please. I write books set in the Victorian Era and so while I have an eReader, and do buy and download books on it (just a basic Sony reader), I prefer it the old fashioned way.

3)      PC or MAC?

PC

4)      Plotter or Pantser?

100 percent certifiable Pantser. And I don't write in order either, I skip around writing chapters and then put it all together.

5)      What comes first- the character or the plot?

Characters and setting, atmosphere is key or I can't write the world.

6)      How much world building do you do?

As much as I can and the world continues to unfold as I write. Since I write series fiction its a constantly developing process. I try to create interesting characters who continue to surprise and intrigue me, and see the world through their eyes.

7)      How do you come up with the names of your characters?

Some just fall into place in my mind as suited to the characters, others I go through names I have compiled by walking through graveyards and gathering interesting first and last names.

8)      Do you listen to music while you write? If so, what and who?

Yes, classical music and movie soundtracks. I love Philip Glass soundtracks.

9)      Where’s your favorite place to write? Do you need complete silence or can you work anywhere?

If the atmosphere isn't too loud or distracting I can write anywhere, and I need to be able to do so as I'm traveling often and always on deadline. As long as I've a cup of tea or coffee and some relatively relaxing / consistent music, I'm good to go. If I have absolute control over the room, I like to have candles lit as it evokes a tie to the historical time in which I am writing.

10)   Who are your favorite authors?

Edgar Allan Poe, Mary Shelley, Charlotte Bronte, Bram Stoker, Oscar Wilde and J. K. Rowling.

11)   Who was the biggest influence on your writing?

Edgar Allan Poe and J. K. Rowling, equally.

12)   Why do you prefer to write for teens?

I write for adult and for teens, I just love writing stories for any age, all of it is exciting to me. A good story is a good story no matter the age of the characters.

13)   If you could go anywhere, and money was no object, where would you go?

I'd take my family all around the world and research all kinds of different historical sites I could use in my books. I'd particularly enjoy river cruises about Europe.

I'm always tweeting at http://twitter.com/leannarenee , on FB at http://facebook.com/lrhieber , I'm blogging my latest novel (the finale in my Magic Most Foul YA series) at http://leannareneebooks.blogspot.com and all my books and more information can be found at http://leannareneehieber.com

2 comments:

  1. What is your favorite soundtrack to listen to while writing? Mine are Les Miz and The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those soundtracks! I'm quite fond of the soundtrack to The Illusionist as it's a film set in the 19th Century, my favourite time period, and it's a gorgeous Philip Glass score.

    ReplyDelete