Monday, July 1, 2013

Karen Bynum

Introducing Karen Bynum

Karen Y. Bynum is an author of young adult paranormal fantasy. Her novel Witch Way to Turn is published through Lyrical Press. She grew up in Hickory, North Carolina where mountains and magic surrounded her. Even as a child, she wrote her own faery tales and prattled incessantly to her imaginary friends.

After graduating from UNC Charlotte with a Bachelor’s degree in Mass Media Communications, she went on to become certified in culinary arts from The Art Institute of Charlotte. But it wasn’t until her aerospace engineer husband accepted a job in Virginia and they relocated that she knew what she wanted to be when she grew up.

With the support of family and friends, Karen embarked on a journey with the voices in her head. They wouldn’t stop talking (yes, she does answer back) and their stories took shape.

Karen enjoys reading, tweeting, writing and spending time with her husband and their spoiled rotten Vizsla named Rusty.

13 Questions for YA Authors
1)      Coke, Pepsi, Coffee, or Tea?
Always coffee if I'm given a choice, but at night I like to have a cup of hot tea before bed :)

2)      Do you prefer print books or an ereader? If ereader, what type?
I have a love affair with my Kindle! It goes everywhere with me.
3)      PC or MAC?
PC only because I've never really used a MAC, but if someone just gave me one, I'd totally learn how to use it!
4)      Plotter or Pantser?
More of a Plantser? ;) Sometimes plot will come to me, but normally I fly by the seat of my pants.
5)      What comes first- the character or the plot?
Almost always the character.
6)      How much world building do you do?
A fair amount, but not so much with the physical world. It's more about the characters, because my stories (so far) have all been set in the modern day world...so I spend more time on the world building of the supernatural realm in each story.
7)      How do you come up with the names of your characters?
 Sometimes they just pop into my mind, or I'll hear a name out in the 'real world' and it'll just stick. Normally I go to a baby name website and research meanings and look for uncommon names.
8)      Do you listen to music while you write? If so, what and who?
Ohh no, it has to be deadly quiet when I write. I am easily-- Ooo, look shiny thing!
9)      Where’s your favorite place to write? Do you need complete silence or can you work anywhere?
My fave place is in my living room recliner with a cup of coffee. I'd be happy writing in a vacuum tho :P
10)   Who are your favorite authors?
L.M. Montgomery, Karen Marie Moning, Lauren Kate, Nicole Peeler...and lots more!
11)   Who was the biggest influence on your writing?
Hm, this is a three part question :P Stephanie Meyer for getting me back into writing. I'd written poems and short stories as a child, but never attempted an actual novel until after I read the Twilight series. My amazing editor because she has taught me so much about the art of story-telling and the melody of words. Her encouragement has helped push me out of my comfort zone. My darling hubby for his constant support and space for me to write. He definitely wants me to make it in the publishing industry. Secretly, I think he wants to be a kept man :P 
12)   Why do you prefer to write for teens?
Everything is so fresh and urgent...first loves, discoveries...the angst! Being a teen isn't easy, and hopefully my stories can encourage and be an escape into someone else's life for a bit.
13)   If you could go anywhere, and money was no object, where would you go?
Wow, that's tough! There are sooo many places! Every state in the US! Then... Australia! Italy! Sweden! But, erm, if I had to pick right this second... I've always wanted to go to Egypt. I'd love to see the pyramids, Sphinx and ride a camel. Even though, riding the camel part would scare the bejesus out of me...they're kind of high off the ground! I'm close to 6' tall, but heights scare me! lol

4 comments: